More questions about floor replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: More questions about floor replacement
From: ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:50:04 -0500
First, I want to thank everyone who has responded to my previous
questions on my floor and sill replacement project.  All of the advice
has been very helpfull.

Now for two more questions:

What is the best way to deal with the portion of the old floor (MGB)
where it is welded to the two frame members?  It looks like it
was welded with a continuous bead rather than spot welded.  My inclination
is to clean up the surface thoroughly, triming the rough edges of the
old floor right up to the edges of the frame members and weld the
new floor on top.  I know that I will have to do something about the places
where the seat tracks bolt on since the captive nuts for the front
sit inside the cross frame channel, but that is a minor problem.

Does this sound like a workable solution or should I completely remove up all
the pieces of the old floor?

I am a bit concerned about welding near the transmission tunnel since
there is quite a bit of oil and grease on everything down there.
Obviously, I will clean up the working surfaces as thoroughly as I can.
(The gas tank has been out of the car for about three or four months
so I rather doubt that there is any danger from gasoline fumes. )
Should I try to rig up a shield to protect the engine and gearbox
from stray sparks?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov