Re: Flashers

To: rmason@ro.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flashers
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 96 19:20:42 GMT
>A couple of questions regarding turn signal and hazard flashers on
>my '73 MGB...

>The hazards are working fine - all bulbs light and the flash rate is
>acceptable.

>When the ignition is on but the engine NOT running, the turn signals
>behave strangely - you hear one click of the flasher and the
>indicator light on the dash stays lit.

>With the car running, the turn signals operate, but flash very
>slowly - on the order of once every three seconds or so (too slow
>for me).

Turn signal flashers are current sensitive, anything less than 13
volts and the flash rate drops very quickly.  This doesn't usually
matter as the flashers are generally only used when the engine is
running.

Hazard flashers work differently as they need to be capable of
working for relatively long periods with the engine off and the
battery voltage gradually dropping.

Turn and hazard flashers are not interchangeable.

Therefore as well as a duff turn flasher you could have a bad
connection in a common connection, like back from the turn switch
through the flasher to the ignition.

As to why they are different, I would hazard (Ha!) a guess that it is
a matter of cost.  The turn flasher is a simple two terminal device
with a winding around a bi-metal strip with a contact, whereas the
hazard flasher is a relay plus a timing circuit.  Pennies count.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)