Re: O.D Speedo Drive Gear

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Subject: Re: O.D Speedo Drive Gear
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:20:24 -0500
>I have recently purchased a O.D. transimssion from a '70B.  I am
>planning to install it in my '77.  I am hoping that someone out there
>will have available for sale or swap, the speedometer drive pinion and
>gear for a late model (75 and up) O.D. tranny.  The drive from my
>transmission is in good condition if someone is in need of it.  If
>anyone has alternate suggestions, they are welcome too.
>
>Best Regards,
>

>Chris Delling

Chris, its my understanding that you don't change, or cannot, change the
gear.  I was told they were all the same.  You must change the speedo.  I
went through this when I changed drivetrains to OD.  Unfortunately, the
speedo on the OD donor car was junk.  I did a fair bit of searching to find
the correct speedo but was ultimately successful.  I don't have access to
my car due to winter, but I know that you must compare the small ratio
numbers printed on the face ot the speedo to determine the correct
instrument.  I am sure someone on the list can pop out and read off the
correct numbers for OD and non OD speedos.  BTW, don't forget to buy the OD
speedo cable.  Hint - run the cable through the dash, but don't hook it up,
then connect the cable to the transmission before you lift the
engine/trans/OD assembly into place.  Also make sure that you know the
routing of the OD cable through the dash.  It was different from the
regular cable on my car.

John McEwen