Re: Turn Signals Help

To: tom.w.wagner@central.sun.com
Subject: Re: Turn Signals Help
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 12:27:37 -0500

<<
        The right signal on - front flashes okay, but the
        marker light is also on.  The rear flashes also, but so
        does the left side very faintly.

Something really wrong here.  Do I understand that the front right marker
light flashes when the directionals go on?  Marker lights and flashers are on
totally different circuits, and should have no interaction between each
other.  Check the wiring diagram.  Check for some sort of wiring podge
courtesy of a PO.  Red wires for markers; green with white for the
directional, and the two don't meet.

The left rear directional is probably wired backwards--ie the wire for the
rear directional is connected to the marker lamp.  Pull the rear light
housing and check which wires are where (again red wire goes to the marker
lamp).

>>Now another problem has come up whereby at the fuse box
 there is a large neutral and small neutral(brown wire).
 I think the small one goes to the radio. But the large one
 when connected will blow the fuse instantly.

BROWN IS HOT.  There are no "neutral" wires in the sense of a wall socket on
an MG.  In the Lucas scheme, brown wires are hot, unfused wires running from
the solenoid.  Typically thick brown wires run from the solenoid to the hot
fuse (fuse terminal A1), and to the warning (hazard) lights.  You can wire up
a radio by running a line off the hot fuse (the small brown wire), but the
radio will stay on when you turn off the ignition.  A smarter move is to wire
the radio to an ignition fuse (A3 or A4).  When working around brown wires or
the fuse box, DISCONNECT the battery.

 >> am not exactly sure where this wire goes, but the
 surprising thing is that I have been driving
 this car around the neighborhood for last
 couple of months and the fuse has never blown before.
 Now none of the turn signals were hooked up before
 this.

Check the wiring diagram. All BROWN run from the solenoid to the following:
 First wire runs to the light switch (which is why yu can turn on your
headlamps without the ignition), then to the ignition switch.  Second wire
runs to the hazardswitch; third to the fuse box; fourht and fifth to the
alternator.  Use an ohmmeter to check for conti nuity.  Sounds like someting
isn't hooked up right.  John Trifari  1980 MGB/1955 Healey BN1

 All help would be appreciated, and if someone
 starts to think about grounds, then I am not
 sure where all of this is grounded at either.

 Thanks

 Tom Wagner
 67 B(Would like to be registered by New Year)

 From mgs-owner@autox.team.net  Thu Dec 19 10:40:01 1996