Re: News Item

To: TRIFARI@aol.com, JKearman@aol.com
Subject: Re: News Item
From: "Jeff and Stash Blackwood" <blacksack@hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Dec 1996 22:56:11 -0000
>     The British Government has offered material incentive for the release of
> all hostages held by the Tupac Amaru movement at the Japanese embassy in
> Peru.
>
>     According to a spokesperson for British Prime Minister John Major, the
> British Goverment is offering to ship 50 vintage British sports cars to
>Peru,
> for the use of the guerillas. The offer is co >>
>
>Yuk, yuk.  Somehow, though,  I don't think the hostages will find this item
>humorous.  John Trifari  1980 MGB/1955 Healey BN1

Sure, I agree that the situation of the hostages is tragic, but the true humor
of this article comes from the fact that the British Government is sending cars
like yours and mine to a group of Peruvian guerillas.

I mean really. Do these guerillas know what they are getting into? Is Peru's
supply of oil sufficient to lubricate the tempermental and ever-leaky British
engine? Are there experts in Peru that know how to tune wire wheels?

I think it's a pretty clever ploy by the Brits. They'll ruin the guerillas
financially in the upkeep of the cars! And whatever money they do spend on body
shells, SU carbs, interior kits, etc. will be funneled right back into the US
and Britain anyway. So it really sounds to me that the guerillas are getting
the short end of the stick. Hmm. I wonder if Mark will support a Peruvian
version of this list?

If you find that my statements are making light of the hostage situation, I can
only say, "lighten up." I do not in any way advocate the actions of the
guerillas, usual disclaimers, blah blah blah...