Re: teaser, leaks and air flow

To: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: teaser, leaks and air flow
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:49:09 +1100 (EST)
My question relates to Jarl's recent posting in which he writes:

>...... The "road draft" tube mounted on the side cover extends down into the
>airflow underneath the car at a slight angle. The air passing by gives a
>venturi effect and creates a slight vacuum in the crankcase which
>removes blowby gases and keeps the oil from becoming diluted by the
>unburned gasoline component of blowby. With the engine in good
>condition, makeup air is needed because there isn't enough blowby and by
>getting it from the air cleaner, it is filtered and cleaned before it is
>sucked into the crankcase. When at rest, theres a slight vacuum at the
>air cleaner and the blowby gases are sucked the other way and burned in
>the engine. This is one of those things from pre smog control days
>that's clear when you think about it, but at first thought doesn't make
>sense!

To satisfy race scruiteneering I have manufactured and fitted an oil catch
tank picking up via flexible hoses any possible oil spill and vapours from
the side plate breather pipe and also from the valve cover orifice. I have
fitted sports type pancake air filters to the carbs.

Obviously through this configuration I have bypassed the design effect as
outlined by you above.

What, if any, problem/s is this likely to cause me?

Paul