Re: Clutch Pedal Shaft on TD-TF

To: Ed & Kris Curtis <curtis@hayburn.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch Pedal Shaft on TD-TF
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 19:27:22 -0800
Ed & Kris Curtis wrote:

>  There surely must be a special place there for the English
> auto engineer who designed the clutch/brake shaft and box on the T-series
> cars.  This has to be one of the most frustrating tasks on the MG.

> I did not tighten the clutch bolt until it was in the car.  At that time I
> found that the brake pedal would not move independent of the clutch shaft.
> The main lession to be learned - assemble the system out of the car and make

> Merry Christmas to all except the auto engineer and the part vendor.

Ed, to be fair, don't forget you were working on a reproduction of a
retrofit. The TF grew from the TD which grew from the Y. The TD kept the
right hand drive pedal from the Y and for the change to LHD was then
redesigned to fit something into a space it wasn't meant to go. The TF
wasn't changed from the TD. Those of us who do a lot of restorations are
painfully aware that some repros are satisfactory, some not. Some from
one vendor work, others not. I've always said that the ONLY difference
between a "pro" and "amateur" restorer is that the pro has already made
all the mistakes and used all the parts that don't work... This forum
should hopefully help prevent the re-invention of the wheel in some of
these cases.   Jarl