Re: Parts suppliers

To: britcars@juno.com
Subject: Re: Parts suppliers
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 17:42:49 EST
On Sat, 21 Dec 1996 13:07:57 EST britcars@juno.com (Lawrie Alexander)
writes:

> ..... . I must also take issue with Barney's remark that they drop the
items that are not profitable ...... Moss drops only those parts that
they cannot get in steady enough supply to prevent items shown in their
price list from having to be back-ordered frequently.

Lawrie then goes on to say:

> While I don't agree with their pricing philosophy in all respects (I
advocated a smaller mark-up on the high priced items, such as
crankshafts, body panels, etc., to which their reply was that every
dollar invested has to make roughly the same return, otherwise they would
be tempted to invest only in the items on which they can make a bigger
mark-up), ....

Kindly check your logic here.  Doesn't this mean that Moss will not sell
an unprofitable part.  I believe it means that Moss will post a price
that would make the proper return.  But, if the part will not sell at
that price, I doubt that Moss will keep the part in inventory for long,
as dead inventory does not make "the same return".

>..... As for service, have you ever tried to return defective or
poor-quality parts to some of the lower-priced suppliers? Or get
intelligent advice? ....... One of my customers bought a cheap carpet set
from Scarborough Faire, disliked the quality, and had a long battle to
get even credit against a future order. Another bought a performance cam
from VB, called to ask a question about it, and was told "we have no
technical people; if you don't like it, send it back....!"  I've never
encountered this with Moss Motors.

Amen on all counts here.  I too have had similar experiences with these
suppliers.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA