Re: High LBC Content. Honest!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: High LBC Content. Honest!
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 09:33:15 +1100
At 04:19 pm 23/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Robert Allen wrote:
>
>> Okay, gang, here is an LBC quiz. A friend of mine has a line on a car
>> that he is, inexplicably, attached to. The current owner sent some
>> really crummy Polariods to go by, but, go take a look at this baby and
>> tell me what it is and is worth (please):
>>
>> http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/lbc
>
>Those are indeed crummy polaroids.  It clearly is a car, but a very fuzzy
>one.  Since nobody else has come up with any guess, much less been sure,
>I will guess it is a Hillman Minx.  Am I close?
>
>   Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Well, close in that it is British, but it is a 1938 Austin 8.  You can tell
by the Austin wings badge on the grille.  They were continued briefly after
WW2.  I had a roadster version of that car as my first car.  No ball of
fire and had a wooden frame (like the T series MG), which in mine was in a
bad state.  Still it got me to and from University, even if I arrived at
most traffic lights with both feet pushed hard on the brake pedal in an
attempt to retard forward progress by the lights!!

regards,

Graham