Re: Overdrive question

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: Overdrive question
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 18:36:46 EST
On Sun, 22 Dec 1996 20:01:52 -0500 mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca writes:
>The overdrive switch on 1970s is on the right-hand stalk of the
>steering
>column.  It is the one which operates the wipers.  Push it down to
>engage
>overdrive and lift it up to lock it out.  There was a small silver
>decal
>with red letters and two arrows originally stuck on the column
>surround,
>above the overdrive/wiper switch, which showed the operation.  You
>couldn't
>really see it while driving the car.  My '70 B still has the decal.
>This
>system was only used during '70 and possibly '71 or '69, I can't
>remember.
>It was not a success.  The replacement switches for both sides of the
>'70
>are bastard switches compared with other MGBs as the left switch also
>operates the horn as well as the headlight flasher, headlight dimmer
>and
>turn signals.
>
>John McEwen
>
>Survivor of a '70 MGB restoration

Thanks John - I think we are getting to the root of it!!!   or the stalk
at least (sorry)
I spoke to a friend of mine in the UK today, and sent him out to look at
his own 70B.
The O/d switch is firmly, inexorably placed on the left side of the dash!
(but then HIS 70B doesnt have a split bumper either..- obviously the
column switch was a U.S.market adaptation - It will be interesting to see
how long it re,ained - my 69 definitely does NOt have it sooooo...

mike  robson
69 roadster
72 roadster