Leaky Rear Main Seal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaky Rear Main Seal
From: Tcycle@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 02:38:43 -0500
Greetings
I have a 70 BGT that loves to leak oil out the rear seal. Two years ago I
replaced the seal and installed a speedy sleeve on the back journal to
eliminate the grove that formed  ( common practice on trucks )  Much to my
chagrin the sucker still leaked.  So now over the holidays I pulled the
engine, inspected the journal no grove on the sleeve. The run out on the
journal is  + - .001. The seal has one small imperfection on it.

That's the background.  The question is .......... any cures for this malady.
 When I installed the seal before, I installed the seal into the adapter
plate then installed  the plate on the engine.  Would it be better to install
the plate then the seal?

Thanks
Tim Tarte