Headlight Legality

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Headlight Legality
From: "Wayne H. Francis" <francis@mail.rain.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 12:10:11 -0800
On the subject of headlights, what constitutes a legal headlight
any more?  Some years ago I purchased through Hemmings a pair of
flat-faced tripod type lights for my TD because I've always admired that
antique look.  It uses a halogen bulb.  As I remember, there was a
caveat that the lights weren't legal in CA, and perhaps in other states.
There was a time (as I understand it) that the only _legal_ lights were
US-made round sealed beams, even after Europe was using rectangular
halogen lights.  In particular, I know that M*rc*d*s lights in the 60's
had to be converted from their large lens design to a pair of round
sealed beams on each side.  What is it about a headlight, halogen bulb,
properly aimed that makes it illegal?  To compound the problem, I've
added the chrome wire stoneguards, which I think are illegal, also.  At
least they can be removed, tho.  Does anybody have the straight skinny
on headlight legal specifications?  If I ever get the car going, I think
I'll just drive it until I'm stopped, unless somebody knows something
horrible about this type of light.      Wayne