Re: A-series head stud reccomend. needed

To: Matt Liggett <mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: A-series head stud reccomend. needed
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 16:41:10 +0000
I always recommend new studs and nuts. So does my SO.

After 25 years or so, the studs relax and stretch and it is difficult to
maintain even torque. If, when you are tightening down the head bolts,
as you are watching the needle climb on the torque wrench, if you feel
(or hear) sort of a 'prong' as the nut starts to cinch up, you clearly
are streching the old head studs.

I don't necessarily recommend Mini Mainia or ARP for stock motors. But I
would recommend new stock head studs and nuts. That goes for the
manifold studs and the three studs at the bottom of the exhaust
manifold, too.

And use them cool, shiny, brass nuts on the manifolds like you're
supposed to. They don't seize like normal steels nuts and should never
be able twist off a manifold stud. (Been there, done that, and it sucked
big time!)

Yep, I had the cool copper head gasket on my Midget, too. It never,
ever, blew a head gasket. But, ah, the stock one didn't either.

If you're like me, paying that much money for just a bag of nuts and
bolts seems like a pretty "big nut" after paying for the head work but I
think it is money well spent.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT Porsche Beater, '75TR6 Chick Getter

BTW: IMHO AFAIK on LBCs is meaningless as far as I know. Oh. I get it.

--
*** STANDARD DISCLAIMER
*** Please assume all lines end with smiley face emoticon :-)