Re: Conduct & Netiquette

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Conduct & Netiquette
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 22:56:05 -0500
At 10:36 PM 1/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 08:00 PM 1/2/97 -0500, Michael P. Ohleger wrote:
>>All,
>>
>>Excuse me.  I joined this list a few weeks ago, and as a member of other
mutual interest
>>lists, I know what "netiquette" is.  I apologize if I haven't introduced
myself, but I
>>didn't think that was a necessity.  I'll tell you that using colorful
language
>>(especially from youngsters) is unpleasant as is inter-list flaming.  I
suggest if *we*
>>have an axe to grind with someone then take it off-list.  I'm here to
listen and learn,
>>and not subject myself to low brow chatter - that belongs on alt.binary.*
newsgroups.

Michael I fully agree. Perhaps its me, but I find that this list has
changed somewhat over the last four or five months. While humor and
silliness always was present, and threads really became silly (MOWOG etc)
the tone was always civil, the humor usually tongue in cheek, and no one
seemed to write simply to provoke an outburst.

Don't get me wrong, the list is still great, and interesting, funny, and
historical information continues to come forth ( the flying wedge, British
plates etc) However, I for one don't care for the challenges, bad language
and infantile outbursts. I am no  censor, and my language can match any
sailor at times, but the net and this list is not the place for it.

I am afraid that what has happened, is that although the majority on the
list do as I do and ignore much that is impolite and distasteful, the list
is now so large that a relative few respond to these postings, but there
are enough to keep this tone and form of response going. That is too bad.
The recent comment that even David has become a diplomat , is a telling
remark. In fact David has toned down and I would guess for the same reason.
The posts have gotten too raw, and David is interested in the cars.

The best way to redirect the list to the way it was is to ignore those who
abuse it. I will ignore comments contrary to what I just said and apologize
to those who feel offended. None the less I miss Denise, the High
Priestess, who would never had allowed this to have happened. Please lets
be civil, have fun, kid a little, and talk about the cars.

Mike Leckstein