Re: Condensate all over the LBC!!

To: geopro@cyberdrive.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Condensate all over the LBC!!
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 09:15:42 -0500
In a message dated 97-01-05 02:52:33 EST, geopro@cyberdrive.net (George
Procyshyn) writes:

<< Happy New Year to all! Best wishes for happy times and LBC miles!
 I'm here in Cleveland Ohio and we're having an indian summer. Yesterday,
 Jan. 3. it was 56 degrees out, and today Jan. 4. it was 64. This you might
 think is ..... GOOD but this has caused a BIG problem in my garage.

 My garage is un insulated, unheated, constructed of brick, poured cement
 floor and a frame roof. It has a SMALL  bit of ventilation and everything in
 it including the walls  have been soaking wet for the last two days. Imagine
 going into your garage with a spray bottle, opening every drawer in your
 tool box and spritzing everything inside! Then go to your favorite LBC and
 do the same to the engine, body, interior, everywhere. I can write my name
 in the condensate, and I KNOW my LBC's don't like living underwater. I had
 to hang up the nylon car covers to dry out.  This is amazing!

 I know I have to spend some money to fix this, but (this is where I need the
 help) what should I spend it on? Insulation? what kind and how to attach it
 to a brick wall? What about the roof?  Vapor barrier? Again where & how.
 Ventilation, how much?  Heat? I can do that by putting a gas line out to the
 garage, (fairly easy) and hang a natural gas heater/blower from a ceiling
 joist. Is this the right approach?  What about the concrete floor? Is anyone
 else having this problem? This is the first winter for these LBC's in this
 garage.
 Any suggestions greatly appreciated. . .What to do, what to do, what to
do???

George,

It's the heat (or absence of it). What your seeing is condensation from the
temperature change of this rapid warming spell we're having. When your cars,
tools, garage floor, etc are all much cooler that the air around them, the
water vapor in the much warmer air seeks a lower energy level and condenses
on your cars, etc. If you heat the garage (and every thing in it) it will go
away.

Now what you've got to determine is if you want to pay the price of heating
the garage to offset this infrequent anomaly. When everything is cold at the
same time, there is no condensation, so most of the winter the heat would
only be a convience (and expense).

For right now, I'd get those cars out in the sun light, if you can, or at
least open the garage door (if theft is not a concern) and let the air warm
things up a bit. If you have a heater, turn it on out there now and wait a
day or so for things to dry out when the temperatures equalize.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget