MGC Brakes

To: mgs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: MGC Brakes
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 14:02:11 -0800
I'm trying to sort out the breaks on my CGT, the rear end is all MGB (I
think). Anyway shortly after I got the car suddenly the brakes went out. I
looked in the  master and it was almost dry so I refilled and got the
brakes back enough so that I didn't scare the crap out of myself anymore.
After that episode the brakes have come and gone with no real rhyme or
reason that I can figure out, and no more major fluid loss. From the
service records I got with the car the master was rebuilt a couple of weeks
before I got the car.

Yesterday I tried bleading the brakes on the car and I found a couple odd
things going on... All of the break fluid seems to be coming from the small
side of the MC and it also seemed like it was sticking internally. Part of
the time when I was working on the rear brakes I was operating the peddle
with my hands, it would take some presure pushing in the peddle then on the
next stroke it would take none.  If I tapped it at the bottom a couple of
times then it would come back.

My guess is that it would be the rebuild of the MC wasn't all that good. I
don't think it's the valve that governs the flow between the two sides of
the system, because when I press on the peddle I hear a thunk coming from
the far side of the engine.

A couple of other questions.... I have heard diffrent opinions on wether
the boosters are of any real value. Any opinions there? Also are there any
reasonably priced replacements to the C's Master Cylinder or can you use an
B dual master?

TIA, Lane