Re: MG magazine

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG magazine
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 97 19:18:07 GMT
> I get Enthusiast, Safety Fast, MG Magazine, Sacred Octagon and in looki=
ng
> at the British publications, they are filled with adverts. The U.S.
> Magazines can't get Adverts. I can't solve the Chicken or egg problem, =
(you
> need readership for adverts, you need adverts for a big successful maga=
zine
> to attract readership)

Paul Kile sent me a copy of British Car last year and as a subscriber to =
the
MGOC and MG Enthusiast I was immediately struck by the lack of adverts. =
 I put
this down to the much bigger market in the USA and not limiting itself =
to one
marque hence the magazine didn't need adverts to support its production =
costs.
 A frequent refrain here in the UK (about other publications) is "it's =
all ads"
and that's not a compliment, but maybe the USA is different.  After a ser=
ies of
'wars' here a few years back all the local papers are now freesheets, del=
ivered
to your door, paid for entirely by advertising and they are rubbish.  Som=
magazines, Auto Trader for example, are 100% ads, but they serve a differ=
ent
purpose.

BTW, the content of the edition of British Car I saw was excellent.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)