FW: Engine Machine Shop services ??s - Long Post!

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Engine Machine Shop services ??s - Long Post!
From: George Merryweather <merryweather@venus.connectware.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:02:41 -0600

----------
From:   Merryweather, George
Sent:   Monday, January 06, 1997 10:06 AM
To:     'David Deutsch'; mgs@autox.team.net
Subject:        RE: Engine Machine Shop services ??s - Long Post!

This is a fairly lengthy post.  It is an accumulation of a number of =
years and a number of rebuilds of experiences, both good and bad.  I =
started of by doing things quick and easy, and using my 'machine shop on =
the corner'.  They were interested in piece work, not quality.  They may =
have been cheaper, but I ended up paying for it elsewhere, later.  The =
opinions, ideas, suggestions noted below are my own.  There are a lot of =
different way to rebuild an engine.  As was noted in a post last week, =
opinions are like 'armpits'  (I hadn't heard that variation either), and =
for you, my opinions may not be worth the paper there not printed on.  =
FWIW.

There are a number of thing to consider.  A number of things you can do, =
and a number of things you can have the shop do.

Magnafluxing - I have been a 'participant' of two different types.  The =
quick and dirty involved a large electro-magnet and iron filings.  Very =
inexpensive, if not free.  The other was what the shop called an =
'aviation type' flux, which actually used a similar process, but the =
using an x-ray type device, looked for cracks.  (I think they use this =
process on jet engine turbine blades).  The second is more costly, and =
more time consuming, but very reliable.  The shop I use only sends out =
stuff in batched.  Reduces cost but increases time.  Have fluxes - Rods, =
Crank, and Head.  If there is reason, have the block checked as well.

Cleaning - remove ALL the oil gallery plugs.  Depending on the engine, =
they are all over.  Remember, (write down), where they all are, so that =
upon replacing, you get them ALL back in the right place.  There is an =
area on the bottom of the block that has numerous holes, some of which =
take plugs, some don't!  You may want to make appropriate marks with a =
small punch to identify the holes.  There are plugs on the end of the =
block, bottom, sides, Get them all.  I drill a small hole and use a =
slide hammer to get them out.  The shop I use builds racing engines, so =
he plans on taking a motor back apart, therefore he taps/threads each =
hole, and puts a set screw in, so that the next removal is easier.  That =
might but good for the racers, but I think it is a little overkill for =
typical driving.  Remove the freeze plugs.  (NOTE!  I am assuming that =
before you start any of this, you have completely disassembled the =
engine.  Mark/tag/bag the bearings your pull out as to where they go.  =
This can be useful if there is any abnormal wear.)  You may want to =
pressure wash the block to get the major gunk off, (You may want to do =
this upon engine removal)  Your shop should hot wash the block.  IF YOU =
HAVE AN ENGINE ID PLATE, YOU MAY WANT TO REMOVE IT.  THE HOT WASH USES A =
CAUSTIC SOLUTION WHICH CAN DESTROY THE ID PLATE.  To be very thorough, =
you should remove the oil restrictors in the crank.  This allows for =
better cleaning.  If you are having the head done, let the shop take it =
apart.  It is pretty tough to do with out the right tools.  The same =
goes for the Cam bearings.  Let the shop mess with their removal and =
refitting.

OK, so everything is clean, and fluxed, now is the time to check =
tolerances for the bearings, pistons, etc.  No sense pre-ordering =
bearings for a crank that may need to be replaced.  Once you get the =
parts in, I recommend that you get the appropriate components balanced.  =
Your shop may be able to do this.  To do this properly, the shop will =
need the pistons, rings, rods, crank, pulley/balancer, flywheel, clutch =
disc & pressure plate. The MGA flywheel can be lightened considerable at =
this time if you want.  About 25% can be removed.

Make sure everything is clean.  Re-tank the block.  You may want to bead =
blast it.  Make sure everything is clean.  Did I say that again?  Flush =
out all the oil passages, double check it.  Make sure every thing is =
clean!  Use lint free rags!  Red shop rags are NOT lint free!  Once =
everything is ready, then have the shop install new cam bearings.  They =
will need your cam as well to do this properly. =20

Now comes the time that you need to decide who is going to build the =
engine.  If you are going to do it, take your time.  Short cuts are =
expensive.  You should pick up some 'Plastigauge' (sp?) or equivalent.  =
This is a precisely measured 'string' of plastic that you place between =
a bearing and the moving surface prior to assembly.  You torque down the =
bearing cap appropriately, which flattens the plastigauge strand.  Since =
the original size of the strand is known, then the flatten strand =
corresponds directly to the bearing clearance.  Check your clearance as =
you assemble.  The appropriate clearance are listed in your shop manual, =
as are the right torque settings.  (Never go to full torque first time =
out!  step up to it with 10 lb. increments,  alternating bolts as you =
go.  Check the shop manual for head bolts!)

Assembly lube - If the engine is going to sit for any length of time =
before running, don't use Lubriplate.  It actually hardens over time!  =
Use a good quality black moly assembly lube for your bearings.  Every =
where else, I recommend a 50/50 mixture of STP and 20/50.  Mix it up in =
a squeezable ketchup bottle.  Put it all over the cam, the oil pump, =
pistons as you insert them, etc.

Misc. thoughts....Use new nuts and lock washers where available.  If the =
mains are held in with 'lock nuts', use new ones.  Replace the cylinder =
head studs and nuts.  They stretch over time.  DON'T FORGET TO PRIME THE =
OIL PUMP!  If you are using lock tab washers, replace them.  (Some shops =
won't use them)  Make sure everything is clean!.  Are the restrictors =
back in the crank?  Are all of the oil plugs in the right place?  Use a =
quality gasket hi-tack compound.  A little goes a long way.  Use it =
sparingly.  Freeze plugs.  Make sure the seating surfaces are clean and =
smooth before you tap them in place.  I've seen JB WELD  used as a =
sealant.  A little goes a long way here, too.  If you keep the =
antifreeze level appropriate, you should have to worry about freezing.  =
The JBW make the plugs a little harder to get out next time, but =
hopefully, next time isn't anytime soon.  Something that I forgot =
above.....Have the top surface of the block, and the mating surface of =
the head, checked for flatness.  That is the time to find any problems, =
rather than later.  Decking a block is a simple procedure.  Timing =
chain, sprockets, and tensioner.  Check for wear.  Depending on the =
length of time since the last rebuild, I would replace all of the above. =
 Follow the manual for all clearances, i.e. the shims at the front end =
on the crank.

Cylinder head - Let the shop do this.  They will need to do most of the =
work anyhow, and they have the tools, so let them do this.  Stellite, =
bronze alloy, hardened seats, etc., is a subject for another =
dissertation.

The rest of the assembly is straight forward.  Keep it clean!  Now is =
the time to replace marginal parts, i.e. motor mounts, (you did take =
your NEW clutch down when you got everything else balanced, didn't =
you?), hoses, pressure relief spring, thermostat, etc.  Oil cooler?  =
FLUSH IT OUT!  And the hoses!  Don't get engine paint/overspray anywhere =
it doesn't belong.  The radiator is out, so why not get it flushed?  Oil =
pump condition? Check it!

You did prime the oil pump?  When the time is right, and the engine has =
been filled with oil, (to the right level Carol), crank the engine, =
without spark plugs, until you get oil pressure.  Don't burn out your =
starter.  15-20 seconds at a time is adequate.  Oil goes from the pump, =
past the oil pressure relief valve, through the cooler, through the =
filter, and then to the gauge and bearings, so be a little patient.  If =
the needle hasn't flickered at the end of a minute, stop and =
re-evaluate.  Is oil coming from the pump?  That's why you primed it.  =
Loosen/remove the oil pipe/hose at the right rear of the block.  Does =
oil come out of here when you crank it.  If so, then tighten, and crank =
some more.  If not, pour a few ounces of oil down the fitting in the =
nd resurfacing? Aside=20
from the head crank and connecting rods what other parts should be=20
Magnafluxed (one of my favorite words)? Where do they stop and I begin?
=20
I also hope this stops the rediculous comparison of me to, one of the=20
most knownledgable MG professionals, Mr John Twist. I'm just a guy with=20
a love for these cars and the people who feel as I do. I'm very=20
faltered by the comparison but at the same time I do not wish to have=20
John thinking I'm putting myself on his level in any way, shape or=20
form.

John Twist also offers a seminar each winter on several topics=20
including O/D transmission rebuilding and Engine rebuilding. You can=20
call 616-682-0800 fax 616-682-0801 or email VRHS43A@prodigy.com for=20
info on this  =20

I'm hoping that after I complete these two projects I can use the newly=20
acquired knownledge of my experiences in helping as many of you as=20
possible.

There is a Tech Session coming up in Feb on the fifteen at:
Modern Machine and Parts
228 North Henry Street=20
Alexandria, VA
9 AM

I hope to have most of my questioned answered there, but am sure that=20
I'm not the only one who wonders these things.            =20