Re: Windshield Revisited

To: wpruitt@charleston.net
Subject: Re: Windshield Revisited
From: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 01:17:28 EST
Warren I hope this helps.

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:01:49 -0500 "Warren Pruitt"
<wpruitt@charleston.net> writes:

>I posted a question regarding the windshield installation on a 70
>roadster a few weeks back. Several people responded and I appreciate the
info,
>but stopped on the windshield so as to maintain some semblance of
sanity.
>Having just received the car back (incomplete)from the fellow who was
repairing >the body and painting, I have had plenty to keep me busy.

>However I am fast running out of tasks (it is darned near finished--and
looks damn >good) and the windshield dilemma has reared its ugly head
again.

>Here is my situation:
>
>I have the side pillar bolts in, and there is a slight amount of
>adjustment in the pillar alignment when two people push on it. However
no >amount of "adjustment" appears as though it will get the pillar and
the vent
>window frame parallel (about 1/8" off-closer at bottom/farther at top).
The center >support bracket is no longer riveted to the base of the
windshield  frame and is >about 1/2" rear of the frame on the cockpit.
However I have the nut  on the center >rod (or did before I sheared it
the other night-I knew I shouldnt have put that last >turn on the
ratchet).

>The side pillar seals are real tight on the vent window frames and are
>causing some binding when the doors are closed. There was a metal
>piece with three holes (not the retainer that is riveted to the pillar)
and
>sheet metal screws that were evidently originally attached to the pillar

>seals in some way. I did not take them off, so I don't have a clue how
they are
>supposed to go. The only reference I can find to them is in the Moss
>catalogue, but nowhere else.
>
>Here are my questions:
>
>How parallel does the windshield pillar and vent frame have to be, and
>what should the gap be?

My car has 1/2" gap at the bottom and 7/16" at the top.
================

>Is it a major screw-up for the center rod support bracket to not be
>riveted to the winshield frame base? It would seem that this might be a
key to
>pulling the frame tight to the body.

The center rod top bracket is riveted to the windshield top rail and the
lower bracket is bolted to the cockpit between the dash and the bottom
rail of the windshield.  It's my understanding that this is critical.  If
it is not there, or is not tight,  the tension of your hood (top) may
pull the windshield apart.

When I installed mine I screwed the rod into the top bracket and then
into the bottom bracket (just a few turns).  Then I bolted the lower
bracket to the cockpit.  Then I used my spoke wrench to tighten the
nipple on the lower bracket.  If you can't get the rod together I would
suspect that the lower and upper windshield rails are not seated
correctly.  Just what you wanted to hear huh.

As I recall I just loosely put in the side bolts, then dealt with the
center rod, then finished tightening the side bolts.

Another thing I did was put talc on the bottom seal so it would move
across the painted surface easier and allow me to "squish" the rubber
more.  Hindsight tells me that talc was too messy, you might want to try
soapy water.

In my opinion putting the windshield together in the B is just about the
hardest job I had to do during restoration.
==================

>What the heck are the metal things on the pillar seals and how do they
>attach?

I don't know, I had the same (?) metal strips inside of the pillar seal.
When I replaced the seal I did not reinstall the strip.  In order to
replace the strip I would have had to poke holes in the seal to screw in
the screws.  I do not think the strip I had was original.  The new seals
I bought fit nicely in the metal pillar seal retainer and no metal strip
was needed.

>Once this problem is licked, then I will put on the new roof and were
>finished - well almost. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Good Luck

Larry
1969 MGB