Re: Whitworth wrenches and sockets

To: "James T. Dunn" <103606.744@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Whitworth wrenches and sockets
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:41:34 -0800
James T. Dunn wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>    I need to buy some Whitworth wrenches and sockets so can someone tell
> me who might have these at a reasonable price.

Jim, I presume you have a Moss catalog. The ones they have are perfectly
fine for even "heavy" non-professional use. However, DON'T buy the sets!
they will give you several you will never use in all but the most exotic
maintenance - and the larger, more expensive ones, at that. You really
only need four sizes to handle 98% of your car's hardware. If you decide
to go that way, I can save you 10% over their price. Also, be aware that
back around 1960 the Brits "resized" all their nomenclature and, for
example, 1/4W became 5/16 BS, 5/16W = 3/8 BS etc. Some suppliers use one
system some the other, and you need to be certain which you are getting.
On some of my older Snap-Ons, they have both markings on the same
wrench!   Jarl