Inner tire wear..

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Inner tire wear..
From: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:49:50 -0600
------------299C7E676EE41

 > From: Rodney McDonald <rmcd@marspec.com>
> Subject: Tire wear
>
> I'm sort of new to MG ownership, but I've loved them for years. I've
removed
> the front fenders (wings) from my slightly ratty 76 B for a much
needed
> replacement. I noticed that the inside of the front tires are worn
more than
> the outside. According to all that I can get my hands on to read is
that the
> only adjustment possible is toe-in. Could this be the problem? There
isn't
> any looseness in the wheels when the front is jacked up so I don't
think
> wear in the suspension components is a problem. Any input from this
august
> body of enthusiasts?
>                         Many thanks!

Rodney,
    I haven't had this happen to my "B" yet, but in my other cars,
severe tire wear on the insides has often been due to spring wear,
especially on the rear end if coil springs are involved.  I think this
is because as the springs wear and lose "springiness", if that's a word,
the car starts to "hunker down" between the two springs, transferring
weight from the outside of the tires to the inside, essentially
increasing the amount of negative camber. (i.e., the tops of the wheels
are now closer together than the bottoms.)  Alternatively, a PO may have
installed negative camber A-arms, but this is probably not likely.
    I don't remember what the symptoms are of incorrect toe-in, but I'm
sure somebody here knows.
Scott Gardner

------------299C7E676EE41

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>&nbsp;&gt; From: Rodney McDonald &lt;rmcd@marspec.com&gt;<BR>
&gt; Subject: Tire wear<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; I'm sort of new to MG ownership, but I've loved them for years. I've
removed<BR>
&gt; the front fenders (wings) from my slightly ratty 76 B for a much needed<BR>
&gt; replacement. I noticed that the inside of the front tires are worn
more than<BR>
&gt; the outside. According to all that I can get my hands on to read is
that the<BR>
&gt; only adjustment possible is toe-in. Could this be the problem? There
isn't<BR>
&gt; any looseness in the wheels when the front is jacked up so I don't
think<BR>
&gt; wear in the suspension components is a problem. Any input from this
august<BR>
&gt; body of enthusiasts?<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Many thanks!<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
Rodney,</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I haven't had this happen to my &quot;B&quot; yet,
but in my other cars, severe tire wear on the insides has often been due
to spring wear, especially on the rear end if coil springs are involved.&nbsp;
I think this is because as the springs wear and lose &quot;springiness&quot;,
if that's a word, the car starts to &quot;hunker down&quot; between the
two springs, transferring weight from the outside of the tires to the inside,
essentially increasing the amount of negative camber. (i.e., the tops of
the wheels are now closer together than the bottoms.)&nbsp; Alternatively,
a PO may have installed negative camber A-arms, but this is probably not
likely.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't remember what the symptoms are of incorrect
toe-in, but I'm sure somebody here knows.</DT>

<DT>Scott Gardner</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------299C7E676EE41--