taking parts home

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: taking parts home
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 17:22:10 -0500
The luggage rack from England problem, reminds me of our adventure with PA
parts two years ago. The airline was American, and they were really nice.
We left Heathrow to depart home with two gigantic boxes. One contained an
entire PA interior, including seats and backs, not seat covers, and the
other had 5 outerlace wheels, and a grill and a firewall. . We declared
them as our luggage, and the boxes met the dimensions of maximum luggage
size allowed. They didn't fit through the check in X ray machine, but the
American Airlines people cheerfully rolled it to some other giant machine
they had.

Our hand luggage contained, dash lights and mushroom bolts. (for the
uninitiated these are chrome mushroom shaped bolts to anchor the rear
wings. ) Anyway the British security seeing these items in Barbara's hand
bag by X ray  ( especially the dash lights with wires hanging out) asked
politely to see them. They thought they were beautiful and then showed them
to the person using the X ray, so he could identify them the next time
someone brought through PA dash lights. I love the British.

This should be in contrast to our arrival in New York City and U.S.
customs. Here we are greeted by a lovely lady with a Spanish Accent, (we
knew we were home in New York)." What you got there? "she asked. We told
her parts for a 34 MG. "Go head" she replied.

Many years ago I bought a used valve cover for a TD. It was wrapped in
newspaper. U.S. customs asked what it was and I told them. The agent then
proceeded to rip the newspaper and put his hand into the package, only to
emerge with a hand full of old grease. I told him it was used!!

My son is going to London for a week the first of Feb. Anybody got PA parts
over there?

Mike Leckstein