All is well, all is truely well

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: All is well, all is truely well
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 11:53:19 -0800
For the past couple of days my wifes daily driver, a VW Jetta, has been
running horribly.  Being of the incredibly cheap sort I found it difficult
to take it to someone else to fix; it could just wait till I could get to
it.  Well, today was the day and as luck would have it my wife needed a car
to go on a road trip to work (she usually drives to the train station, just
a few blocks).  Because her car was iffy she took my truck on her trip and I
decided to look into her cars problems.

I found a multitude of ignition woes, a badly burned rotor, a fouled plug
with evidence of tracking on the #1 plug and same plug severely fouled.
While pulling the plug leads off, #2 actually broke at the connector.  Now
the Jetta is a damn fine commuter and I'm a big fan as far as a boring daily
driver goes but even a Jetta won't run on two cylinders.  The nearest VW
parts house is about 3 KM away; too far to walk.  What to do?

I'll tell you what to do.  You push the GT out of the way, take the cover
off the TC, and fire her up!  While she's warming you drop the hood and put
the toneau on over the passenger seat and drop the windsheild.  Bundle up
warm cause it's -7 C and getting ready to snow, 15 cm forecast. Take the
long way to the parts place.

Even if I hadn't been able to gloat that my 50 year old LBC was going to the
rescue of my late model Euro-box, even if I hadn't had the guys at the parts
house go outside to stare at what just pulled into the lot and even if I
hadn't been able to laugh at the stares from people with their windows up
and heaters going full blast  I would have had a wonderful time.  There's
nothing like the wind in the face and the purr of a wee British banger to
make one feel that all is well in the universe! (Fostbite notwithstanding)

To steal a tag line from a fellow lister..... GAWD, I LOVE THESE CARS!!!!

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT