rust in fuel tank

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: rust in fuel tank
From: "Karl F. Best" <kbest@Adobe.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 14:20:54 -0800
Last weekend while out for a ride in Maggie ('57 MGA), she decided to
act like she was out of fuel (remember, I've told you before that the
guage is *not* to be trusted), though a stick in the tank showed a
reasonable amount left. Opening up the carbs showed empty bowls, but
after turning the key again the pump started clicking and we were off.
Then we got to repeat the process a couple miles down the road.

We did make it home, and a couple days later I pulled out the floats to
verify that, yes, the carbs had a bit of rust sitting at the bottom of
the bowls, though not an unreasonable amount for ~1500 miles since a
carb rebuild. So, for a temporary fix I put a filter in the fuel line
just before the carbs. BTW, I'm using Grose jets.

Two questions: 1) should I put a fuel line filter *before* the pump? Is
there danger of it clogging? And 2) for a more permanent fix I know I
should probably sludge the tank. Is this something I want to do myself,
or is there a place in the San Jose area where I should take it?

</karl>

Karl F. Best
Manager, Frame Developer Support
Adobe Systems