Re: Brake fluid - What type?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid - What type?
From: skillman@clark.net (Robert Skillman)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:12:37 -0500
>The correct brake fluid for an MG is Castrol GT Dot 3.

I may be mistaken but I think Dot 3 is your typical american fluid, while I
and most I know use Castrol LMA dot 4 in our LBCs (can says something like
"exceeds dot 3 and 4 requirements").  Silicone is dot 5 and some people
like it, but it's best if used after a total rebuild or when system is
flushed with alcohol and blown dry.
I think the only real advantage to silicone is that it doesn't dissolve
paint!  If you change fluids every 2 years the dot 4 shouldn't give any
problems and is a lot less expensive.

         Bob Skillman  47TC, 68MGC (Castrol LMA) 59MGA twin-cam (silicone)