Re: MGB Tire Pressures

To: ragthyme@fls.infi.net
Subject: Re: MGB Tire Pressures
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:41:43 EST
On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:52:37 -0500 ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net> writes:

>Friends:
>
>Perhaps I'm stupid here, but doesn't the recommended tyre pressure
>depend upon which sort of tyre you're running on and its
>recommendations?  By that, I suppose I mean, what size tyre, not what
>brand.

Corey...

The original factory tire pressure recommendations were for bias ply
tires, lower than we recommend now because bias ply tires have stiffer
sidewalls than radials. The pressure shown on a tire's sidewall is the
maximum pressure the tire maker feels is safe. Since only a small range
of sizes can safely be fitted to any given rim (e.g. on an MGB rim you
can fit radials from 155-15 to 185-15), the range of pressures does not
vary by more than a few pounds. As mentioned before, the key is always to
maintain the front-to-rear pressure differential that the factory
recommended for the car in question, as this is what controls safe
handling.

Lawrie
British Sports Car Center