Re: Sales Broachers 1971< MGB

To: len drake <drake@direct.ca>
Subject: Re: Sales Broachers 1971< MGB
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:31:17 -0500
len drake wrote:

> Dick - it ain't necessarily so!  Here in the wilds of Canada,
> our government did not deem the threat of broken kneecaps from
> the eared knock offs to be a threat to our population.  I believe
> Mr. Clausager is incorrect on this one..
>
> >David...
> >
> >Sorry to disappoint you but with the introduction of the MGB Mk II model
> >in late '67 all export cars were supplied with Octagonal "Knock On" nuts
> >vs the earlier two eared spinners. (Source: Original MGB by Clausager)

Yes, I have a 1968 Canadian spec MGB complete with metal dash, and
winged
knock-offs,  4 syncro, and without US spec polution control.  It even
has
a GHN4L serial # as opposed to a GHN4U serial #, and an 18GD engine, and
numer of other minor differences (vent knobs turn the opposite way as on
US
for example)

>From what I've found  out over the years this is a rather unique car as
prior
to this both canadian and US spec cars were the same and from 69 on
(Late 68?)
Canadian and US specs were the same, with perhaps some minor
differences.  Perhaps
knock-offs were one of these.  Does any one on the list have a factory
parts manual, as it's the only accurate source of what parts go on what
cars.
I had to use one to get the correct part # number to replace my
speedometer
(It was replaced somewhere along the cars life with an older 3 syncro
speedo
as the 4 synchro metal dash speedo was only used on this car (in north
america)
Unfortunately most parts and other books focused on the US market and
thus forget
that the MGB in different flavours for a large # of markets.  (Clausager
likely
took this route)

Gary
--