Antique plates and my tax dollars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Antique plates and my tax dollars
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 22:46:17 -0600 (CST)
This is another  installment of "Carol's Perils" so you may want to hit the
"delete" key now!!

We have the Lil' Darlin' just sittin' and waitin' for her 1961 license plate
approval from the Great State of Texas!! I applied for the antique status in
early November...and I'm still waiting. So, says I, let's call the office
that started the process. It's local. They said, "sorry, you'll have to call
Austin." That's long distance. But I called anyway.

Sure enough, there is a "tab number" currently assigned for the car, and the
info required to purchase the registration in the county should arrive in
the mail some time this week. Now, we're talking ten weeks so far, right??

I politely inquired as to why it would take so long to get "approval" for
the antique registration. The lady (who was very nice and very helpful) said
"Well, the Department of Corrections was on vacation for two weeks during
Christmas and that slowed things down a lot."

Excuse me?!!

The JAIL and it's population was on vacation??

It's true. It's true!! Iti's true!!!!!! The inmates at the prison got two
weeks' vacation!! (Not just the inn-keepers.) Ain't that a hoot?!

Maybe it's not all that bad being confined to Huntsville, after all. The
state employees had to work! Got one day off!

The end of the story: I was able to get my hands on the tag!! (Big miracle,
long story...)

'Tis a shame as today was a wonderful MG driving day. This afternoon I
noticed vintage Chevy's, a couple of early 60's T-Birds, and a few other
oldies taking advantage of the beautiful, sunny, 76-degree day. I guess we
can get cabin fever here, too!

Tomorrow I put the antique tag on the car, and tomorrow it rains!! Such is
life....

But, it's gettin' mighty close: Rebecca Creek, here I come! <VBG>

Later....carol