RE: MGB camshaft selection

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGB camshaft selection
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:53:00 -0800 (PST)
A hot cam adds power by optimizing breathing usually at higher rpm where the
engine puts out it's most HP. Longer duration means that the valves are open
longer allowing for more air to move. Overlap means that the exhaust and
intake are open at the same time allowing for a flushing out of the exhaust
fumes. When combined with a good exhaust header, the scavenging can ad a bit
of HP. Increasing the valve lift and the rate at which the valves open (lobe
shape) can also increase performance. All of this is usually at the expense
of low end torque and reliability. The power curve gets narrower and peaks
at a higher rpm. An overlap that produces a lot of power at 5500 can cause a
lumpy idle. Unless you rev your engine a bit during normal driving I think
that you would be disappointed with the less than stellar low end
performance and unaware of the high rpm improvements. There's a lot to be
said for keeping stock. You wont have to worry about the possibility of
degreeing in your cam, dealing with offset keys and the possibility of
having to buy a $100 adjustable cam sprocket to properly degree in the cam.
Stay away from regrinds, I hear they wear quickly. A very mild cam can
increase your performance in a more usable rpm range without the lumpy idle
of the fast street cams. Another thing to think about is that an engine with
a free flow exhaust and big carb and high compression will benefit more from
the cam than a totally stock setup with a restricted induction and exhaust
system. A good cam can complement other performance enhancements but I don'
t think that you're going to notice any "kick in the pants" increases in
performance especially because your not replacing a late model emissions
cam. Kent makes a lot of cams. Try to get their presales number and they can
help you pick a cam.
If you want a little more oomph at low to middle, try using K&N air filters
and install a free flow exhaust header and muffler. And remember that with a
new cam, stock or Kent, you should notice an improvement in HP from the last
time you drove it because your old cam was shot.

Chris Reichle