Adding a fuel pump diode

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mgs)
Subject: Adding a fuel pump diode
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 11:24:45 -0600 (CST)
Through various discussions over the years, I am aware of the evolution
of the electrical system of the S.U. fuel pump, from nothing (points
stick often) to condenser (points stick eventually) to diode (points
never stick).  I now have the pump out of the '72 parts car, and would
like to rebuild it and shelve it as a spare.  It has a condenser
presently, but I would (obviously) like to convert it to a diode.  I'm
not too keen on exactly how to do this (last night was the very first
time I'd ever seen the inside of an S.U. fuel pump!).  Has anybody been
here before?  Can anybody take my hand and walk me through this?

Also, the end cap seal was taped over with blue electrical tape with the
S.U. graphic and the words "Refer to instruction manual before
disassembling".  Obviously, you must remove this tape to open the pump;
is replacement tape available anywhere, or should I use electrician's
tape?

P.S.  We took the kids to see "101 Dalmatians" over the weekend.  What
kind of car does Cruella (Glenn Close) drive?  It certainly is lovely,
and makes exquisite noises...

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast