Re: Unexpected Help From Out of Nowhere #2

To: rmaxey@ix.netcom.com (Richard Maxey ), British-Cars-Pre-War@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Unexpected Help From Out of Nowhere #2
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 01:22:02 -0500
At 09:14 AM 2/1/97 -0800, Richard Maxey wrote:
>"There seems to be an invisible bond between the drivers of antique,
>unusual and vintage cars.....stories of unexpected assistance while on
>the road"
>I have received several "private" e-mails on the first story. These
>stories are the antithesis of my tales.  Perhaps the only civilized
>drivers of today, live in the Western United States.
On the OOTTT,(Ocean to Ocean and onto Toronto 7500 miles 19 days) in 1996,
I know of several such stories.

1. Myself, who broke a half shaft on the start line in New Jersey. Chuck
Troast, who was an observer seeing the cars off, took off his white shirt
and changed the axle shaft, including opening the pumpkin to get the broken
piece out, in two hours. Moss supplied the shaft.

2. A TC on the trip driven by a young man alone, had outrageous steering.
When you wanted to turn, it was like a ship, you started your response, way
ahead of time. When the fifty cars reached California, the steering was
shot, and Al Moss took the young man with the car to his home and
completely redid the steering box.

3. Moss motors supplied a break down service with a station wagon and
trailer. The company supplied without cost hundreds of parts throughout the
trip, and all with no publicity. Robert Goldman drove the wagon, and was an
unsung hero.

4. Best story: In Minnesota, the car driven by two senior women on the
event, gave up. The engine was toast. A local MG enthusiast had come to
meet the group that night,  volunteered his TD to the girls  so they could
finish the trip with the group. All complete strangers! And finish they did.

A word also for Dave Zipp and Jim Pesta of Cincinnati, who were on the
trip. They worked on all the cars in trouble, all 19 days on the road, and
went to bed almost every night after 2am, when all the repairs were done.

Nothing like MG folks.

Mike Leckstein