Re: TD gas cap cork seal

To: stevet@hbp.com
Subject: Re: TD gas cap cork seal
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 15:35:00 EST
On Thu, 06 Feb 1997 13:22:03 -0500 stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle) writes:
>My gas cap has been weeping gas ever since I have had my TD. I put a
>new
>cork gasket in but am puzzled. Does the gasket simply lay in over the
>exposed lip or must one soak the gasket and force it past the lip down
>inside to the bottom of the opening?

>Any suggestions? How should the gasket fit?

The cork ring should be pressed down into the channel formed by the
raised ridge inside the neck and the outside of the neck. We use a small
screwdriver to work it into place.

Another trick to prevent fuel sloshing out of a full tank is to buy what
in the plumbing trade is called a "tailpiece", the straight piece of tube
that attaches to the bottom of a sink, with a flare at one end. There is
a size that will snugly fit down through the filler neck (and not fall
through!). You have to trim the straight end off at an angle to not
interfere with the tank inside, and drill a couple of small holes through
the tube near the top to allow air to escape while filling, once the fuel
level is over the bottom of the tube. This fitting effectively baffles
the sloshing of the fuel and greatly reduces the chance for it to splash
up and out past  the filler cap.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center