Re: Thanks for Bushing info, 4.5 inch rims, stuff

To: william.eastman@medtronic.com
Subject: Re: Thanks for Bushing info, 4.5 inch rims, stuff
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 00:52:54 EST
On Fri, 07 Feb 1997 16:44:24 -0600 William Eastman
<william.eastman@medtronic.com> writes:

>Barney,
>
>Thanks for the Paddy Hopkirk advice.  I have read (either in Vitrikas or
Green) that a 4.5 inch wide wheel was a factory competition option for
MGA's.  Would a car running 4.5 inch wheels still be considered stock,
given this info.  I don't see how it is any different than a 1LE
Firechicken.  I am sure that MG sent a few out with HS6's and hot cams.
Higher compression may have been available in other countries as well.

MG factory competition options would generally not be considered stock
for SCCA.  Mostly these parts were not made in large enough quantities to
be available to everyone.  If it doesn't appear in the factory workshop
manual, it's hard to pass off as stock.  However, if you can document
that your car was delivered from the factory with a close ratio gearbox,
then you're OK as stock.

>Personally, I don't drive well enough for all the tricks in the book to
help and, from what I have read, you don't need them.  Nonetheless, I
would be interested in your opinion and it might entertain the list to
hear same.

On the top ten lest of things that make your car go faster for SCCA
autocross, the first three are practice, practice, and practice.  Number
four would be racing tires.  The Paddy Hopkirk gas pedal would be about
number 93.

>Also, how is your RX7 doing?  Has it recovered from its holiday in our
lovely state of Minnesota?

Still has the wrinkles in the roof.  Heck, it's only a Mazda.  Lots of
other things running higher priorities, like any MG, and the Alaska trip.

Y'all come,
Barney