Re: MGB Autocross Questions

To: smbrown@annap.infi.net
Subject: Re: MGB Autocross Questions
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 21:49:11 EST
On Sat, 08 Feb 1997 10:33:30 -0800 Steve Brown <smbrown@annap.infi.net>
writes:

> .....  to start out in stock class.  .....
>
>1.  Must tire SIZE be the same as originally fitted, in my case 165-14,
or can I go up to the 185-14s that are currently on my wheels and still
remain in stock class?

SCCA Stock class allows any street legal tire (DOT approved - having some
tread) of any size, including race tires.  The tires should not rub on
anything at full bounce or full lock.  Tread must not protrude past the
fender as viewed from the top.  Wheels may be of any material, but must
be stock size within 1/2" on diameter and within 1/4" on width and
offset.  Wheel spacers may be used to achieve the correct offset.  So
your current tires are OK.  Ride height must be as stock, but slightly
sagging springs are usually overlooked.

>2.  I assume that I must have my bumpers and all their brackets
installed?

Technically, yes.  But on your first appearance as a novice, probably
nobody cares.  When you start winning, your direct competitors start
getting picky.

>3.  Must all the interior trimmings be in place and be of the correct
year for the car?

Ditto comment from #2.  Also, seat belts are required.

>4.  What have other MG owners who have autocrossed Bs done for
modifications within the stock class?  That is, what diameter anti-roll
bar, what type of brake pads, etc.

Roll bar is recommended but not required for Stock class or Street
Prepared class.  When it is required (Prepared class), 1-1/2" OD and
.120" wall.  Construction details are in the SCCA Solo I & II Rules.
Note that for Stock and Street Prepared classes a roll bar may be welded
in, but a roll cage must be bolted into the car, not welded to the
chassis.  Supposedly welding it in is considered chassis stiffening which
is not allowed.

Other allowed mods for Stock class follow immediately.  Anything not
listed must be stock and in place.
     Any front anti-sway bar (but cannot change the rear one).
     Any shock absorbers of the original type.
     Any brake lining material.
     Any ignition parts of the original type.  For cars prior to 1968,
any standard distributor.
     Any air cleaner, or remove it.
     Cylinders .020" overbore, but NO BALANCING and NO PORT MATCHING.
     Any oil filter, and any lubricants.
     Any exhaust after the factory manifold, or after the cat-converter
if it had one.
     Any reverse lock out.
     Any steering wheel within 1" of original diameter (cars prior to
1990).
     Any appearance item or accessory that does not materially affect the
performance or handling or lighten the vehicle, but no change of driver's
seat, and no telemetry.
     Hood straps or fasteners.
     Any fuel cap.
     Spare tire, jack & tools are optional, but all loose items must be
removed.
     Driver restraints (belts), but do not cut the seats.  Also, shoulder
harness is not allowed in an open car without a roll bar except for a
factory stock harness.
     Rear trailer hitch, weight is allowed, but may serve no other
purpose (meaning not excessively heavy and not intended as a chassis
stiffener).
     Tie downs may be removed.
     Tow bar brackets may be installed, but may serve no other purpose

>5.  Finally (at least for this round), am I correct in assuming that if
something is found to be illegal for Stock class in the tech inspection
that one just gets bumped into Street Prepared rather than "sent home".
I'd hate to get there and find that I wasn't able to run at all!

Yes, if that item is legal in Street Prepared class.  As a rule of thumb,
SP class allows almost anything you can bolt on without cutting or
welding and without opening the engine, except lightening is not allowed.
 Carbs, intake, exhaust after the cat, wheels, suspension mods and posi
traction are allowed.  But, a hot cam, pistons or valves puts you in
Prepared class.

SCCA 1997 SOLO I & II RULES is now available for $10 from:
        Sports Car Club of America
        Rally/Solo Department
        9033 E. Easter Place
        Englewood, CO  80112