Re: Dash Preservation

To: IMFletch@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dash Preservation
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 10:00:39 EST
On Sat, 8 Feb 1997 21:37:27 -0500 (EST) IMFletch@aol.com writes:
>Fellow MG'ers,
>   I am recovering a dash from a '70 GT for my '69 B. The dash is in
>fairly good shape and will look much better with a cap installed than my

>existing dash. My question is: what's the best way to make a dash last?
The
>material seems to remain dry and unpliable (i.e. just waiting to crack)
no
>matter what I've tried. I've mostly used Armor
>All or a similar product. One friend suggests using saddle soap. What
>have you found that works best?
>Scott Smithers
>SABCC NAMGBR
>'69 MGB

Scott,
I have used saddle soap but found that it builds up over time and you
cant use Armor-All or similar over it (it doesnt mix)
The most likely area for cracking is the top of the dash where sun
exposure is greatest. All the time it ISNT cracked, there really isnt any
need to do anything . . . .but, if it eventually does, the "caps" sold by
most of the major parts suppliers are very effective, relatively cheap,
easy to install and mostly undetectable!

mike robson
69 roadster (uncapped)
70 BGT (to be capped i suspect)
72 roadster (capped)