Cams and Distributors

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cams and Distributors
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@srv1.ic.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:32:14 -0500
I have some questions that I think/hope will stimulate a lot of
activity.  My pride and joy is a 77B.  It is a bit bastardized, but here
are the particulars:

Stock engine from a 79B, with an early (pre-smog head)
Weber DGV Carb
Early cast-iron manifold into a "standard" exhaust - no cat.
Stock Distributor fitted with Crane/Allison ignition, stock coil.

Now the questions.  I want a little more pep.  It's not bad down low,
but still peters out above 4000 r.p.m or so.  I have been advised that
the way to acheive my ends is to swap the cam, and the distributor.
Since the engine is coming out for a tranny swap, I thought that this is
the time to consider this.

I have been told (?) that the stock cam in post '72 cars is suspect, due
to "soft metal" which results in premature wear.  Anyone out there
support this?  Is there a way to determine cam wear w/o removing the
cam?

Will a high performance distributor help by itself, or is it a
negligable gain w/o a cam swap?

Just how much difficulty is there is swapping the cam with the engine in
the car (should my funds be too limited to do everything at this time, I
may consider it later - but I really don't want to pull the engine
again!)

Any and all opinions are welcomed!

Best Regards

Chris Delling