Right-Angle Drive ?? and speedo waver -Reply

To: deboer@pacbell.net
Subject: Right-Angle Drive ?? and speedo waver -Reply
From: Bert Otten <Bert.Otten@nni.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:04:55 +0100
>>> Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net> 97-02-11  20:29 >>>
>wrote:

>Tom and Corey and list: This is a classic case of "tired cable" The
>inner speedo cable becomes softer and more flexible as it ages and
>wears. The odometer mechanism of the speedo works on a ratchet
>principle
>and has a little pawl that climbs up a ramp on a gear. The extra effort
>required to climb up this slope "winds up" the cable a little and so it
>slows down. As the pawl drops off the tooth, the cable unwinds and
>speeds up. This small speed variation is enough to cause the needle
>swings which can be as much as 50 MPH! Quite often replacing the
>cable
>cures the whole problem, although sometimes an older dried out speedo
>may need cleaning and lubrication as well.  Jarl

Jarl,

Thanks for the info. My speedometer swings also a little bit. I always
thought that this was because I didn't use the right angle drive - which
was broken when i got the car  -  but attached the cable directly to the
tranny. It was a bit of a fiddle to get the cable properly installed without
this R/A drive, but it still works (after 4000 miles)

The trick is to make sure that the speedo cable leaves the tranny without
too much curve in it. There's not much room, though.

My local vendor told me that leaving out the R/A drive would cause
speedo cable failure relatively soon, because of the tight bend in it. But I
think that replacing my cable with a new one should do the job wonderful
for a long time.

Just a thought.

Bert Otten
'66 B