Re: Movies

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Movies
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 08:54:13 -0500
At 07:51 AM 2/15/97 -0500, Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

><< Jim, my favorite movie, and sing "Night and Day (you are the one)" as you
> read this. Astaire meets Rogers at the docks returning from Paris. Rogers
> has torn her dress in a steamer trunk after a customs inspection. Astaire
> lends Rogers his "Mack" (raincoat) and hopes to make a move on her when she
> returns it to him in London. The coat comes back by messenger, and Astaire
> drives endlessly in his J type looking for her on the streets of London.
>

> He sees her in her big American car (Deussy or Auburn) and chases her in
> the MG.
> In the park, he blocks her exit with the MG  after luring her down a dead
> end. She
> tells him as she is about to back out over the MG, "you don't like your
> car? "
>
> The scene is several minutes and the car is clearly a J type, not an M, not
> a P. It has a spare tire on a slab gas tank. In one scene the Radiator
> shell and "MG" is as clear as can be.
>
> Stop singing. and rent the movie if you are over 35 and a romantic.
>
> Mike
>  >>
>OK, now what kind of car is the Frenchman (the guy who is hired to act as
>Ginger Rogers lover) driving when he first arrives at the hotel/club?  I
>rented this movie for the family just last weekend, they all rolled their
>eyes when they realised why I had rented it.  But they all ended up liking
>the movie.
>
>Scott

Scott, I am glad your family liked the movie. There is hope in this world.

The "Frenchman" is not supposed to be French, he is supposed to be Italian,
Tonetti is his name. He is played by Erik Rhoads, a wonderful comedy
character actor from the midwest.( the accent is totally put on)  In" Top
Hat", the follow up movie (sing I'm in Heaven,  Dancing Cheek to Cheek) the
same basic story is repeated with the same actors. Rhoads plays an Italian
dress designer who wants to marry Rogers. That movie may be slightly better
then Gay Divorcee as it has music by Irving Berlin. Your wife would agree
that Rogers "feather dress" is the most beautiful ever worn by a movie
star. The dance sequence in this dress had to be repeated a zillion times
as feathers kept on flying off onto Astaire's Tuxedo.  The movie lacks only
one thing, an MG scene.

Mike Leckstein