Re: Horses; no lbc content

To: David Deutsch <drded@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Horses; no lbc content
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:44:42 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, David Deutsch wrote:

> or so cars in it. On this particular day there was a Rubber Bumpered B
> with a Buick V8 in it. Nice car but it did need paint and interior work
> When I inquired of it's price and was told "18" I replied "I'll take
> it, here's $900 now I'll give you the other half tommorrow when I bring
> a flatbed." He then said "18 thousand, you wise$%*". If he had said "8"
> or "9" initially, I would have known that thousands was what he was
> referring to but in all honesty the car was worth closer to $1,800 than
> $18,000.

My then wife and still daughter were in the market for a horse some years
back.  I drove them to a stable my wife had heard about that imports
horses.  After an hour or so sitting outside in the car, I wandered in to
where the stable manager was showing them a very handsome young animal.
He was just old enough to ride, so really was untrained, which generally
translates into cheap.  I dunno diddly about horses, but he had what
Albert Payson Terhune called "the look of eagles."  I asked the price, and
the manager said "twenty five."  I got very interested, but my wife
virtually dragged me out.  When we got in the car, I wondered aloud how
they could make money importing $2500 horses.  My wife explained the price
was $25000.  I wonder what the manager thought of the big spender in the
well-worn Corolla?

You think cars are expensive, try horses.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910