Re: Am I in the right place?

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>,
Subject: Re: Am I in the right place?
From: "William L. Singleton" <singleton@ccsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:21:45 -0500
>I towed an empty UHaul car transporter (open trailer) to central New
>Hampshire, using a new UHaul middle size truck as a tow vehicle, and
>returned the same day with a car on it.  No problem whatsoever, and while
>I am generally nervous about towing, I found myself cruising at 65 in the
>mountains with growing confidence.  I recommend this combination; it
>really works, but it is not cheap.

I have done this with a TD (using the old-style U-Haul transporter with a
flat bed) and it worked very well.

>I'm not sure if the UHaul transporter
>would work with a TC, because the MG's tread may be too narrow for the
>open deck car transporter.

I was told emphatically by the U-Haul folks that the dual ramp-style
transporter was too wide for the T-series MGs.  I believe that Ryder still
has flat bed transporters, however.

>Using an enclosed UHaul trailer is something
>else.  It should work if you are very careful, but that is not what these
>trailers are meant for.
>
>By the way, if you tell UHaul what you plan, they may refuse to rent to
>you or they may refuse to sell you their insurance.

Almost certainly.  I rented the transporter plus truck combination because
U-Haul refused to rent me a transporter when they saw my truck and stated
they would not rent a closed trailer for that purpose.  Also, as I remember
it, most trailers lack adequate tie-downs to keep something like a car from
bouncing around.

Someone suggested renting the U-Haul truck and placing the T in that.
Might work and the trucks do have tie-down points, but it would be more
expensive than a trailer.  I have definite reservations about putting a car
in a closed trailer, as I don't think you can control the bouncing inside
the trailer.

Finally, as previously mentioned, if you are being moved, the car can be
placed in the van.  This is by far the best way.  If you're moving yourself
(and I've had far too many adventures in moving), however, your options are
more limited.

My humble opiniions, fot what they're worth.

Bill Singleton

'52 TD (hers, and -- hopefully -- soon to go under the knife)
'77 MGB (ours, we needed an MG while waiting for the TD)