Re: JC Whitney

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: JC Whitney
From: Eddie Sheffield <sheffield@telos.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:46:35 -0500
Steve Brown wrote:

> >   Be forewarned, J.C.Whitney can hell to deal with.  I had a horrible
> > experience trying to buy one of the above mentioned pumps from them.  I
> > could go into detail, but the point is I didn't ever get my pump and they
> > managed to sour me so badly with their unprofesionalism that I'd flat out
> > refuse to buy anything from them in the future even if my life depended upon
> > it.
>
> I agree with the above statement 110%.  Never again will I bother with
> Whitney.  In addition to the above I find that their prices are usually
> higher than places like Pep Boys.

Haven't bought anything from them for years. Never really had a problem
when I did with one exception. At one time I was trying to restore a
Kaiser-Frazier Henry J. Whitney listed a high capacity oil pump that
would work on it. Since the old pump was in kind of bad shape, I ordered
it. I got distracted and never did finish the car (it still sits at my
parent's place under a tarp, mostly in pieces.) I even forgot I ordered
the pump. But about a year later this package arrives from Whitney. Sure
enough, it was the pump! Kind of funny.

I still get their catalogs now and then, but you're right, the prices
aren't as good as they used to be, and the selection stinks. Used to be
a great place to find old car parts. Now unless it's a muscle car or
newer than 10 years old or some such you're out of luck. Kind of a
shame, really.

Eddie