Re: Fuel pumps

To: jer@thlogic.com, jack@lucent.com
Subject: Re: Fuel pumps
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 01:15:04 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-21 11:50:08 EST, jer@thlogic.com (Jeremy DuBois)
writes:

<<  Be forewarned, J.C.Whitney can hell to deal with.  I had a horrible
 experience trying to buy one of the above mentioned pumps from them.  >>

Jeremy,

Sorry you had such a bad time with J. C. Whitney. I have used them many times
over the years and did so a couple of times just last year. I have always
been happy with their service. I did take a chance on one item that was
priced really cheap. When I got it I was disappointed with the quality and
returned it for a refund. They promptly credited my american express, no
hassle. All in all, my experience with them has been good.

The bankruptcy someone mentioned was actually Warshansky, I believe. That was

J. C. Whitney's evil twin (other business) with the street address from
around the corner of the same building, as I recall. I had a friend that was
caught in that mess. He never got his order or a full refund. Several months
later, he got a partial refund. That was a LONG time ago. We all have that
exposure everytime we do business with anyone and pay them up front. unless
you do a D & B (Dun & Bradstreet) on them and even then you can get stuck.

Somebody else mentioned PEP Boys, now there's a place whose door I try never
to darken. I have had three very exasperating experiences there from price
gouging to extreme rudeness.

Example: They nicked me for $22 to fix a "carried in" flat tire from my MGB
about five years ago (no balancing requested). The patch they put on leaked
two weeks later (it was a relatively new inner tube or I wouldn't have even
asked them to do it).  They wouldn't stand behind their work. Then, when I
wrote their headquarters back east, they didn't even bother to reply. Two
other episodes of complete rudeness makes that a place I avoid. It seems to
be their policy. Damn... I'm still mad at them!

That's the one in Carrollton, Texas on Trinity Mills for anyone in the area.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget