Re: Engine noises (an update) + help for Distributor Probs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested)
Subject: Re: Engine noises (an update) + help for Distributor Probs
From: Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:55:00 +0000
Apologies if you've seen this already , I got no responses the first time and
for some reason did not receive the digest from last monday thru thursday..  I
could do with some guidance on the distributor problem so if you can offer any
please e-mail direct.  Many thanks..

Here goes (again).

Engine came out of my '74 MGB last week, with no engine hoist it took three of
us to get the engine out - those babys are heavier than they look !

After some serious work over the weekend the problems I had have now been
tracked down...

The water in the oil was tracked down to a head gasket problem, No.4 cyl was
leaking into one of the water passages. There was also some burn between 2-3
cyl
and a number of nasty looking scratches here and there so the head has now been
skimmed (18 UKP at local machine shop) this should sort all these problems out.

I have also fully cleaned the head, lapped/ground all of the valves into their
seats and fitted the new midget oil seals - these look as if they should do a
really good job as they seal on the valve stem and push down over the valve
guide effectively holding back any oil that may try and leak down the guide....
fingers crossed.  Part Number for these AEG 327

The rather nasty noise turned out to be the distributor - probably shaft
bearings or some such giving up - makes an awful noise and probably needs a
complete new distributor (unless you know different ? can these be re-built ?
how do you / can you get them apart to check them ?).

Anyone in the UK have a 25D distributor they want to sell - or can tell me what
other cars had the same model ? (Allegro, Triumph xxx Austin Maxi ???? - I'll
try and track one down at a scrapyard - if there is a list of other cars using
the same unit my chances of finding one are improved !)

I also found that the clutch release bearing is (was) disintegrating and
leaving
large chunks of metal inside the cluch housing so this exercise has also saved
future job and a ruined clutch.

So at the moment work is progressing quite well and I feel that I have found
the
problems I was looking for, I'm taking the job slow in an effort to do it right
and so would like to take advice on anything else that is worth doing to the
engine whilst it's out of the car - your suggestions are welcome.

Kevin   `74 MGB   (looking a bit empty)