OEM and aftermarket

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: OEM and aftermarket
From: James Howard <jdh@sextans.lowell.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 19:42:07 -0700 (MST)
Someone asked what the difference between OEM and aftermarket.  OEM means
Original Equipment Manufacturer.  The are the company who supplied the
part to the company when they built your car.  So, Lucas was the OEM for
the generator on my BGT, Champion for the spark plugs, SU for the
carburettors.  A Weber carb would be an aftermarket part, and is an
example of one where the aftermarket part is as good as or better than
the original.

I had to buy a new brake drum for my Land Rover recently.  I had a choice
of buying OEM for $50, or aftermarket for $30.  I bought the aftermarket,
and there seems to be no difference between it and OEM, except the
price.

A certain parts supplier sent me a new brake light switch for my late 72
MGB.  It was an aftermarket part that looked identical to the original,
except it lasted 6 months.  I went to NAPA to get a replacement, and it
came in a Lucas box, the OEM.  It was still working fine two years and
30,000 miles later when I sold car.

Generally, OEM parts are the ones to get, but there are cases when they
are not, and it is hard, as a consumer who buys relatively few parts, to
know which one is the best.  That is why it is so nice to have a supplier
who has the expertise and the honesty to do it for me.

So, all you MG suppliers out there!  Heads up.  You know how to win my
loyalty now!

James Howard
Snowed in in Flagstaff