Battery fuzz eitology

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Battery fuzz eitology
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:29:47 -0800
At 06:19 PM 3/2/97 UT, you wrote:

>What is the exact etiology of the white corrosion I get on the + terminal
>of my MGC.  I have 2 6Vs and it only occurs on the terminal where the "hot"
>cable attaches.  I've scrubbed, sprayed, coated with grease etc. but can't
>eliminate the problem.  I remember when young all our family cars had this
>problem, but my recent cars have been OK.  Is an unsealed battery more
>susceptible?  What is cure?  I may be ready to go to a single 12V.
>
>Bob Skillman 47TC, 59MGA twin cam, 68MGC

Bob,

Check your voltage regulator.  If you have truly eliminated any resistance
at the connection and followed all the recommended procedures for cleaning
and protection (baking soda, vaseline etc.) then I suspect your voltage
cut-out is set too high and you're overcharging.  This is NOT a good thing.
Consistant overcharge will destroy a battery eventually.  I don't know what
style of regulator is on the C but I imagine its a standard two coil Lucas
model.  Find a procedure for setting up the voltage regulator, both voltage
and current coils but pay special attention to the voltage cut-out.  Dollars
to doughnuts that'll fix you up.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT