Compressed Air Lines

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Compressed Air Lines
From: "Craig H. Brallier" <brallier@twd.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 07:39:22 -0800
I know someone on the list has already expressed this opinion, but I
think it needs repeating.  While investigating the use of plastic piping
for a project at work, I found 2 suppliers issuing the same warning.  PVC
and CPVC piping materials are only to be used for liquid service.  They
should NEVER be used for compressed air or gas.  They both indicate
compressed air or gasses can surge to high pressures and cause failures
that could seriously injure personnel.  Compared to steel, iron or copper
pipe, PVC and CPVC pipe and fittings do not have the ductility and impact
resistance for compressed air or gas service.  To quote, "If PVC or CPVC
pipe is used to convey compressed air or gas, an explosive failure in the
system can occur resulting in sharp fragments accelerated by rapidly
decompressing air."  I'm convinced.  "Safety Fast"

Craig

75 MGB
76 MGB