RE: Vaccuume Advance - Rebuild with Hot Cam and Roller Rockers?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Vaccuume Advance - Rebuild with Hot Cam and Roller Rockers?
From: Leigh Egbert <Leigh@AVFH.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:10:23 -0500

----------
From:   David Hall[SMTP:dhall@vcd.hp.com]
Sent:   Tuesday, March 04, 1997 4:28 PM
To:     'Robert Allen'
Cc:     'MGList'
Subject:        RE: Vaccuume Advance - Rebuild with Hot Cam and Roller =
Rockers?

Robert..

Thanks for the detailed information!  I would guess that the huffa-huffa =
is
coming partly from the cam, and partly from worn valve seats.  Also, =
thinking
about it, the rocker shaft is probably worn pretty bad as well.  I am
guessing this because there is a noisy vibration around 3K which =
smoothes out at
about 3.5 - 4K.  Also, around 2K, the variation in the intake pressure =
seems
to not be as bad. (Hence the cam.)

Solution for now is to make a restrictor for the vaccuume line to the =
distributor
vaccuume advance.  (And keep working on the rebuild!)

As far as the rebuild goes - I am debating the advantages / =
dis-advantages of
putting a hot street cam in it, as well as roller rockers.  I've read =
through
Peter Burgess book - Power Tuning a MGB Engine.  He seems more concerned =
with
balancing the engine and porting the head than the hot cam.  He also =
feels that
the stock cam is quite good.  Also, he does not like roller rockers.  =
Personally,
it seems like the bearings in the roller rockers would last much longer =
than
the normal rockers busings.  What do you think?  (And all you other =
listers who
are following this...)

I will probably bore the engine out a bit, but not all the way to the =
larger piston.

Balancing all of the connecting rods, and having the block line bored =
both seem
very valuable.  Smooth-balance =3D free revving.

Thanks again!

Dave Hall
http://www.pacifier.com/~dlhall
72 B GT
74 Midget

----------
Dave,   the cam is indeed the source of the "huffa huffa" sound.  Your =
compression figures are very even, if somewhat on the low side, possibly =
also because of the overlap on the cam.  It is very likely that the =
drivability problem is because the engine doesn't get "on the cam" until =
3k revs.  I think roller tipped rockers are a good idea, as long as they =
retain the bronze bearing on the rocker shaft to prevent "brinneling" of =
the shaft and for oil pressure control.
=20
Good Luck

Leigh Egbert=09