RE: Introduction & hoods

To: "Ross Overcash" <jroverca@tiac.net>, "Ross Overcash" <jroverca@tiac.net>,
Subject: RE: Introduction & hoods
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 97 13:41:15 UT

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-mgs@autox.team.net  On Behalf Of Ross Overcash
Sent:   Wednesday, March 05, 1997 7:17 AM
To:     Bob Holton; mgs@autox.team.net

At 08:26 PM 3/4/97 -0500, Bob Holton wrote:
>Hello MG listers,
>
>I've been following this group for many months and have enjoyed its info and
>purpose. My name is Bob Holton, I live in Elmira, Ontario Canada, and I'm
>the much too happy owner of a 80 B LE.  The lbc purrs like a cat (can I say
>that here?) and with this groups help I intend to keep it that way.  This is
>my 3rd. MG, a 68 B was first, followed by a 70 Midget while I was in the
>U.S.Army.  Both were driven to death, the only excuse I can use for their
>poor care, was my youth.  I have seen the light(just too late for those
>dearly departed).
>
>I have invested in a few books: Haynes, one by Jim Tyler, Original MGB by
>Clausager, and even a manual on Stromberg Carbs.  My manual by Bentley is
>still on back order, and in all of these publications I can't seem to find
>anything on (here comes the new guy question) hoods.  The other MG's tops
>were easy to fold down, the 68 came right off, and the Midget went down like
>a dream.  What, if I may be so bold, is the proper way to get this rascal
>down smoothly and in a compact manner,  this more than likely sound pretty
>silly, but I've had a couple Jack Daniel's and now have the nerve to ask
>something silly.  If any one can help or lead me down the road to
>righteousness I would be most greatful.  While I'm on hoods, is there a way
>to remove scuff on the vinyl windows, thats how good a job I've been doing
>on folding it down(the scuffs are'nt bad but keep reminding me of the bad
>fold jobs)
>
>Sorry to take so much space but I do need a plan. Also living in Canada I
>know better that to take a run at the "French" thread.
>
>Regards,and thanks
>
>Bob
>
>P.S. Hi to the MGGUY, Rock and Roll is still good in Ontario.
>

>Bob,

Welcome, there are no silly questions, a couple of JD's or not.  I too have
been wanting to ask the same question but just haven't.  None of the
publications I own have an adequate description of how to accomplish this
task.  I guess it must have been something the owner was shown how to do at
the dealer whne he picked up his car!!  So who can answer the question, what
is the proper way to fold up and stow a fold down top?

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca

I agree on the need to know but have always thought that there really is no
way to put the top down without scuffing the windows (I been trying for about
10 years with no luck no matter how I fold).  I'd love to hear a pearl or two
on this!!!

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst (No noticeable scuffs - I take it completely off when going top
down)
69 C GT
69 B Rdst (definitely scuffed)
71 B GT