Re: Oil pressure problem.

To: JDMG@msn.com, MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil pressure problem.
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 23:45:40 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-05 21:20:00 EST, JDMG@msn.com (Jacques Dupuis)
writes:

<< THE PROBLEM: When the engine is started from cold after being stopped for
 several hours, the oil pressure takes up to 10 to 15 seconds to buil-up to
 normal. During that time taht looks eternity to me, I can hear some knocking

 and chatter coming from some oil starved parts inside the engine.
 Jacques Dupuis

 Jacques,

This reminds me of when I've gone a bit too long between oil changes but,
obviously this is not your problem.

Did you try changing brands of oil filters? I think one posibility is that,
after a few hours, your filter is draining back to the crank case. This will
cause several seconds delay in the oil pressure coming up, just like the
first time the engine is started after an oil and filter change. Some brands
have a built in check valve. I normally use Fram and have not seen this
problem with them. Is the riser tube still in place on the filter mount? I
believe this also helps prevent drain back.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget