Engine as sat for 10 years

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine as sat for 10 years
From: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 15:38:25 EST
I recently bought a 1976 MGB parts car.  I bought it for the OD
transmission.

Before I remove the tranny I thought I would see if I can determine the
engine's condition.

Here's what I know.  The guy I bought it from doesn't know any more about
the car than I do.  The car has sat since 1985.  There was some repair
invoices from 1985 that indicated the car passed the State of Utah's
safety inspection.  I have been successful in turning the engine over,
first by hand then with starter (ignition disabled).  I have changed oil.
 I have put lubricant down the spark plug holes (a combination of WD40
and Liquid Wrench).  A compression test indicates 85 PSI to 95 PSI.  When
the car is cranked I hear no unusual noises.

Questions:

1)  Does the low compression indicate a junk engine, or is this a symptom
of sitting.

2)  Will compression increase as the rings re-seat after running the
engine or just cranking the engine?

3)  What typical things can I expect from an engine that has sat for 10
years.

4)  What kind of value is there in a used B engine.

Here's my thought process.  Although  this car is a bit rough and all I
want is the OD tranny the thought occurred to me that I might be able to
install my non OD tranny into this car, get it running and sell it as a
running car.  The alternative is to remove the OD and sell the remaining
parts individually or as a package.  Any thoughts?

Cheers,
.
Larry Hoy
1969 MGB Roadster